A better smile and properly functioning bite can be achieved at any age, but the ideal time to visit an Alpharetta orthodontist is at the age of seven. The American Association of Orthodontists recommends this age because the orthodontist can take advantage of a jaw that is still growing.
Early Orthodontics Treatment For Children In Johns Creek, Roswell & Alpharetta
Excellent dental and orthodontic health begins early on. According to American Association of Pediatric Dentistry’s guidelines, a child’s first visit to the dentist should be as soon as the first tooth erupts or by the age of one, at the latest.
Although there is not an exact age to start orthodontic treatment, the American Association of Orthodontists recommends visiting the orthodontist in around age seven to make sure that jaws and teeth are growing at a normal rate. This will allow the Johns Creek orthodontist to diagnose and if needed, correct the tooth and jaw alignment as soon as they are detected.
If any of the following signs are present, Your Child may need an Orthodontic Exam
- Problems with chewing or biting
- Teeth Grinding, specifically at night
- Mouth breathing
- Early or very late loss of baby teeth
- Crowding, misplaced or blocked teeth around age 7 or 8
- Clicking, popping and shifting of jaws on opening and closing
- Teeth that come together abnormally, or do not come together at all
- Jaws and teeth that are not proportionate to the rest of the face
Early treatment allows your Roswell Orthodontist to
- Correct and guide the growth of your child’s jaw to help the permanent teeth come in straight
- Regulate the width of the upper and lower arches
- Create more space for crowded teeth
- Avoid the need for permanent tooth extractions later in life
- Correct thumb-sucking and help improve minor speech problems
However, today more adults than ever before are discovering the power of orthodontics with one in five patients being over the age of 21. Make your complimentary appointment today!