It’s almost summer, and chances are good you’re looking forward to long, lazy days that don’t involve school and homework. We want our patients to all have great summer, so we want you all to make sure you don’t slack on caring for your braces.
“I know that summertime is when kids want to focus on kicking back and having fun,” says Alpharetta orthodontist Dr. Nima. “Summer is filled with sun, treats and sleeping in. But that doesn’t mean you should ignore caring for your braces.”
To keep yourself on track and ensure a healthy and straight smile at the end of your treatment, follow these tips:
- Don’t forget to schedule check-ups. We know summer can get busy, with vacations and summer camps. Schedule a check-up early in the summer so it doesn’t get put on the backburner.
- Limit your sugar consumption. Getting cavitie while in orthodontic treatment is no fun, so try to limit your soda, juice, popsicles and ice cream intake. Add fruit to water to make refreshing and delicious drinks, and enjoy sugar-free popsicles and frozen treats.
- Create a care kit and keep it with you. We know you’ll be at summer camps, friend’s houses and other trips, but don’t forget to pack a toothbrush, toothpaste and floss wherever you go. It can also help to make sure your kit has orthodontic wax to ensure you stay comfortable even when you aren’t at home. If you wear elastics, be sure to pack extras.
- Keep your routine. If you normally brush your teeth right after you wake up, then after meals and snacks and before bedtime, keep that same routine. During the summer it can be easy to put this off, but if you keep your normal care routine, you can be sure the health of your mouth doesn’t suffer over the summer.
- Be mindful of the no no list. We know summer can be a time to indulge in treats, but make sure you remember what foods are on the list to avoid while in braces.
We want you to have a safe, fun and relaxing summer – but not to relax too much on your braces care. At the end of your orthodontic treatment, you want a bright white, straight and healthy smile to show off. Staying on track this summer will ensure that can happen as soon as possible.
If you will be gone for an extended vacation this summer, schedule a check-up with our office as soon as you can so we can ensure everything is on track and you won’t have to worry while on vacation.